The 2017 Call for Art for the Old Bakery and Emporium Art Gallery is now open.
The information and application are on the website. https://austintexas.gov/obemporium
The Deadline is September 6, 2016.
The Old Bakery & Emporium is a historic building located in Downtown Austin. The Bakery operates as a Consignment Shop, Visitor Information Center, Art Gallery exhibiting local artists 50 or better and houses a museum, the Lundberg-Maerki Historical Collection.
- Offering people 50 years and over opportunities to supplement their incomes and to develop second careers
- Offering people of all ages opportunities for meaningful volunteer service
- Providing information and a warm sense of welcome to out-of-town visitors
- Encouraging the appreciation and perpetuation of heritage handcraft skills
- Art Gallery
- The Art Gallery is located on the third floor of the Old Bakery and Emporium and features a rotating schedule of exhibitions including artworks of all media and
The Old Bakery, a registered national landmark, has graced Congress Avenue since 1876, when it was built by Swedish immigrant Charles Lundberg. The building was used as a bakery till 1936, and after that for a variety of purposes.
The Old Bakery was vacant, deteriorating and scheduled for demolition when it was rescued through the combined efforts of the Austin Heritage Society, which purchased the structure in 1963, and the Junior League, which donated $12,500 for restoration work. No alterations were made in the restoration work which included installing the rods on the second floor to strengthen the side walls. The giant oven and the wooden baker’s spade remain as reminders of the building’s history.
In 1964, the Heritage Society began operating a Tourist Information Center and Coffee Kitchen at the site. When the mortgage was paid off in 1970, the Old Bakery was sold to the State of Texas. The state of Texas deeded the building and property to the City of Austin in 1980. The City of Austin Office of Bicentennial Affairs and the Texas Bicentennial Information Center occupied the building between July 1974 and September 1976. The Old Bakery and Emporium opened its doors in October, 1976, as a co-sponsored project of the Senior Programs Section of the Austin Parks and Recreation Department and the First Lady’s Volunteer Program of the Texas Center for Volunteer Action.
Call, drop by or email J Savannah to receive additional information.